Like the Loco Disappearing Enchiladas, this vegan recipe resembles a lasagna recipe rather than a traditional enchilada recipe. However that means it's an easy recipe to put together. It's also a great recipe for cooking with your kids!
This recipe also assumes that you are a bit familiar with the taco seasoning that you've chosen. If not, I recommend erring on the side of using less. My preference is about 1/3 of the packet spread evenly over the jackfruit.
Tip: Unsure about your preferred taste? Take a bite-size amount of shredded jackfruit and sprinkle your taco seasoning on it. Taste it. Adjust the amount if necessary and retest until you find something that works for you.
Live Life Loco: Living life loco means taking advantage of larger meals. However sometimes circumstances happen and you need to adapt. With that in mind, if you would like a more than 1-2 servings leftover, use a 9" x 13" baking dish instead. Then use the full can of jackfruit and black beans. Double the amount of taco seasoning, Loco Avocado, and tortillas as well.
What you need
- 20 ounce can jackfruit (only need half)
- 15 ounce can black beans (only need half)
- 1 pack of taco seasoning
- 8-16 ounces Loco Avocado
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 cup vegan Colby Jack, Cheddar Jack, or Mexican shredded cheese
What you do
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Drain the can and place the jackfruit in a medium bowl. Using your hands or two forks, shred the jackfruit.
- Sprinkle/shake the taco seasoning over the jackfruit to your preferred taste. Set aside.
- Drain the can of black beans and set aside.
- In a 8" x 8" baking dish, spread a light layer of Loco Avocado over the bottom of the dish (~2 ounces). It doesn't need to be thick, but it needs to cover the bottom so the enchiladas do not burn.
- Layer two tortillas on top of the Loco Avocado. Tip: Trim the tortillas so they do not overlap. I then use the trimmed portions to fill in the open spaces.
- Spread out 1/2 the shredded jackfruit so that it does not stack on each other.
- Spread ~ 1/2 of the back beans.
- Add a 1/2 cup layer of shredded cheese.
- Optional: Add layer of Loco Avocado on top of the cheese. (~4-8 ounces)
- Layer two tortillas on top of the cheese. Again trim the tortillas to avoid overlapping them and use the trimmed portion to fill the open space.
- Spread a layer of Loco Avocado on top of tortillas. (~4-6 ounces)
- Top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let enchiladas cool for 5 minutes. Serve. Feast - nom nom nom...
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Number of Servings: 2-3
Confession time: this is my first attempt at a vegan dish. I feel like it came out well, but I'm always open to suggestions. Please let me know what you think. Thanks..